Wednesday, May 14, 2008

CrossFit Running/Endurance Cert Day 2


The video can also be found at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1109961304770876897&hl=en
Compare day one's video to the second and you can see that everyone's form improved! Everyone has changed over to striking ball of foot allowing decreased ground time. In fact, when we analyzed the video frame by frame everyone had reduced the time they spent on the ground. The goal is to spend more time in the air than on the ground or at the very least equal time in both phases. I went from 6 frames on the ground and 5 frames in the air on day one to 5 frames on the ground and 5 in the air. There are still flaws as expected after changing technique and performing only a day of drills. The major issues are reaching out in front of general center of mass (GCM) and not pulling enough.
To critique myself, (wearing hat and pink tank top at 35 seconds and 2:11 into the film) I am not reaching as much and am now landing closer to under my GCM. Problems include not pulling or leaning/"falling" enough. The lack of pull is also described as having a "lazy pull". This refers to the point in stride in which the focus is to pull the foot off the ground and towards the butt rather than pushing off the ground as many are taught. If the video is paused you can see that the pull of my foot towards my butt is quite lax. It should be noted that a lower pull is typical with slower running and may explain why mine ended up this way. I was putting forth much concentration to not reach forward that I was not moving rather slow. One of my biggest obstacles is to learn to have that slight forward lean or fall (not from the torso though...maintain solid core) and allow gravity to bring me forward. I spent many years as a heel-striker with extremely upright running posture to the point that some photos appear to have a backwards lean. (I'll see if I can find any of these photos to post.) Talk about wasting energy!

Here's a slow-motion where you can see excellent running mechanics and get an idea for what a proper pull looks like at fast speeds.

Check out the CrossFit Endurance site for excellent work-outs and info regarding endurance training. http://www.crossfitendurance.com
Here is an interesting aricle posted on the CrossFit Endurance site today: http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/features/health_doping_slowtwitch2.html

No comments: